At Unique Building Group (UBG), we partner with some of the industry’s best general contractors (GC) to build large-scale buildings that make a difference in the community. Our drywall, plaster, and framing can be observed across several important community assets. We’re proud to support the neighborhoods we build in by supplying framing for the resources that make a big difference in the lives of many.
We recently had the opportunity to play a significant role in the construction of the 176K sqft Veterans Affairs Outpatient Center in Kearny Mesa. Our ability to efficiently install a high volume of drywall and framing, combined with quality project management from our general contractor, Lusardi Construction, made this award-winning project a huge success for both our team and the Kearny Mesa community.
About The Veterans Affairs Outpatient Center
The Veterans Affairs Outpatient Center is a hospital annex building with an outpatient clinic. The building was much-needed as the nearby La Jolla outpatient center was becoming too busy. Today, the VA outpatient center is one of the biggest medical office leases in San Diego County. The outpatient center provides dental, physical therapy, mental health, optometry, pathology, audiology, and radiology services and treatments for 600 to 800 veterans each day.
This project was a big success. The size and complexity of this project helped it to earn the San Diego Business Journal’s Commercial Real Estate Best Tenant Improvement Project in 2021. It also earned a finalist position in the Associated General Contractors, San Diego Chapter Inc. Building Excellence Awards.
UBG Provided Framing And Drywall
What made this massive project highly unique was the fact that it involved the renovation of a 100K sqft existing Bank of America building, which was comprised of several concrete bulletproof elements including a vault room, holding rooms, and a guard tower. The teams were tasked with transforming this dense bunker into an outpatient hospital. In addition to renovating the Bank of America building, a 25K sqft extension, as well as a 4-story 395 stall parking garage, was added. Overall, the entire property covers almost 8 acres.
UBG supplied and installed all metal stud framing, drywall, lath & plaster for this $22.2 million job. Because we have extensive experience in large-scale construction, Lusardi selected our team as the framing construction subcontractor to handle this massive project.
Why General Contractors Turn To UBG For Large Scale Construction
The VA Outpatient Center is just one example of a reputable GC trusting UBG as a framing construction subcontractor for a complex project. The reality is that we tackle large-scale construction every day. Here are just some of the reasons why GCs turn to UBG for projects that other firms can’t handle:
- Large-Scale Construction Is What We Do: Our typical projects involve over 500K sqft of light gauge steel or over 1 million sqft of drywall. There is no job too big or challenging for UBG. We complete dozens of complex construction projects every year, and we have over 30 years of industry experience.
- We’re Great Partners: We work closely with our general contractors to come up with creative solutions that meet clients’ aesthetic requirements. We do what it takes to make the entire project a success.
- We Go The Extra Mile: When you work with us, you can be sure that we’ll go above and beyond to ensure every aspect of our work is done right, on-time, and on-budget. From our pre-project planning process to our best-in-class training program, we have all the processes in place to make sure we’re prepared to deliver results.
- We’re Focused On Safety: Safety is our number one priority each and every day. Our safety procedures far exceed OSHA standards. From daily safety meetings to ongoing trainings, we do our part to create a safe working environment for everyone.
- Professionalism Is At The Core Of Who We Are
You can expect our team to act with integrity, honesty, and respect every day. We integrate these fundamental and essential behaviors into nearly every aspect of our company culture.
- We Invest In Technology: Whether it’s on-site safety technology, communication tools, or project planning software, we leverage all of the best tools to deliver results for our partners including accurate bids and estimates. We’re always exploring new technology solutions to improve our work.
The VA Outpatient Center in Kearny Mesa was a big win for our team and Lusardi Construction, but it is really just one of many examples of our great work in 2021. If you’re looking for a quality construction subcontractor for your next big project, get in touch with us today. We’re always looking to take on new, challenging construction projects.